Saturday, February 25, 2017

Catch-up, apologies

I'm issuing a big apology to the folks who follow this blog, I have been lax in updating!  It wouldn't surprise me if many of you suspected that my Ford Fairmont did not make it through the winter...but in fact she is alive and well and now in her 38th year of bringing home the groceries.  And the Christmas tree, ala Family Truxster.





I managed to get in a few minor improvements before the cold weather hit--Gertrude now sports all her proper badges as well as two new ball joints.  Her fuel gauge continues to work intermittently; I admit to having run her out of gas twice, despite keeping track of mileage.  Thankfully, her simple mechanical fuel pump and single-barrel carburetor allow her to get going again (and get started on a cold morning) with a quick shot of ether.

With the collective experience of several helpful Ford Fox fans online (big shout-out to www.stangnet.com) I have ascertained that Gertie's shifting issue is likely due to a bad transmission vacuum modulator.  Unsurprisingly, the part is not expensive, although I'm not yet sure what's required to access it.  When the weather warms up again, this is going to be my first priority.



Honestly, the main reason you folks haven't heard anything from me in such a long time is that Gertrude is such a wonderful little everyday car I've hardly had anything worth reporting.  Like any older car, she takes a little cajoling on a cold morning, but even when the temperatures have plummeted into the negative digits, there hasn't been a single instance in which she couldn't get me where I needed to go.  She's been as surefooted in the snow as she was in the summer rainstorms.  She's taken me close to the border of Iowa, where she sheltered me and my sleeping bag for two nights.  We even attended our first car show last fall.  Gertrude didn't win any prizes--I wasn't expecting any--but several people appreciated her for what she is, and I even had an offer to buy!  I told the fella I'm flattered, but Gertie is emphatically not for sale.  I am still very much in love with my Ford Fairmont!

No comments:

Post a Comment